Programming / Community Events
The Black Communities Conference, a.k.a. #BlackCom2019, is a vibrant and uniquely important global gathering that will take place in downtown Durham, N.C. Sept. 9-11, 2019. It will feature nearly 300 panel discussions, local tours, film screenings, workshops, keynotes and other events.
The conference is hosted by the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise and the Institute of African American Research along with the Center for the Study of the American South, Hayti Heritage Center and St. Joseph’s Historic Foundation. NCGrowth, North Carolina Central University and UNC University Libraries.
One of TKM’s most popular events, the Women’s Self Defense Seminar will teach you effective self-defense and personal safety strategies in a safe and fun environment with other awesome ladies! Take it from a previous participant, “You will never feel as vulnerable in any situation again. This empowerment will stay with me forever.”
Topics covered include:
1. Awareness and avoidance of potential threats
2. Readiness before the assault
3. Psychology of “Alpha Males” versus ” Predators”
4. Krav Maga Defenses
5. Tools that actually work (hint: not whistles)
6. Your right to self-defense. “Escalation of force” and other legal considerations.
7. From standing to falling down to fighting on the ground, we cover all possibilities.
8. Much more!
Date: August 10th, 2019
Location: TKM, 4911 South Alston Avenue Durham, NC 27713
Price: $79 (Early Bird until 07/13), $39 (TKM Members-only)
We hope to see you there! Please forward to all of the ladies in your life!